At least 500 people hospitalised in Yangon cholera outbreak

At least 500 people have been hospitalised with severe diarrhoea in Yangon, with 149 testing positive for cholera.


Asia

At least 500 people hospitalised in Yangon cholera outbreak

At least 500 people have been hospitalised with severe diarrhoea in Yangon, with 149 testing positive for cholera.

At least 500 people hospitalised in Yangon cholera outbreak

Pigeons gather at an entrance of Yangon general hospital, Friday, Aug 14, 2026, in Yangon, Myanmar. (Photo: AP/Thein Zaw)

Read a summary of this article on FAST.

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

YANGON, Myanmar: A total of 500 people have been hospitalised for severe diarrhoea in Myanmar’s largest city, a Yangon official said on Monday (Aug 17), with nearly 150 testing positive for cholera.

Myanmar’s infrastructure and health sector are creaking after more than five years of civil war in which more than 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed – and with the economy moribund.

Since Aug 9, 500 people have been hospitalised for diarrhoea, the key symptom of cholera, said the regional social affairs minister Bo Htay.

His comments were the first official confirmation that cholera was involved, more than a week after the first hospital admissions.

Rapid tests for cholera had shown 149 positive cases, he told the parliament for the Yangon region, which includes the country’s largest city. 

Nine of them had been formally confirmed as vibrio cholerae cases by the National Health Laboratory, he added.

Cholera is a severe diarrheal infection caused by consuming contaminated food or water, and can be fatal within hours if not treated.


The World Health Organisation describes it as “a global public health threat and indicates inequity and lack of social and economic development”. 

More than 100 new patients were admitted to hospital last Thursday, the minister said, but new cases had since declined.

A 92-year-old patient died after being admitted to hospital with diarrhoea, but the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper on Sunday cited officials as saying the man had succumbed to underlying heart and lung conditions.

Health personnel were carrying out “epidemiological surveillance and outbreak-control measures in affected areas”, it quoted officials as saying.

Source: AFP/fs

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Inbox

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Whatsapp

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports