Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy reiterated on Sunday that Ukraine was not involved in the 2022 attack on the Nord Stream underwater gas pipelines.
“Ukraine has never officially taken part in any operation related to the blowing up of Nord Stream,” Zelenskyy told reporters on Sunday in response to a question about the ongoing investigation.
He said that Germany was “well aware that Ukraine did not stand behind the execution or the very conception of this operation.”
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
Zelenskyy hopes ‘not to lose trust’
German authorities alleged last month that the attack had been ordered by the Ukrainian state, while a second Ukrainian national was also detained over the blasts this week.
Zelenskyy said Ukraine was assisting German authorities with their investigation.
“It is very important for us not to lose our partnership, not to lose the trust of European countries that have been helping Ukraine since the very beginning of this war,” he said.
German authorities implicate Ukraine
The Nord Stream 1 pipeline ran the Baltic Sea and delivered gas from Russia to Germany and other countries in Europe. A second pipeline called Nord Stream 2 was constructed but never went into use.
In September 2022, both pipelines were sabotaged with undersea explosions. No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
In early 2026, German authorities detained the first suspect, a Ukrainian national Serhii K., and alleged that he and six accomplices had acted “on the orders of state authorities in Ukraine.”
Prosecutors said the plan was to “destroy the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 pipelines” with the objective of “permanently halting gas supplies via the pipelines and preventing Russia from using the revenue from natural gas trade to finance its war efforts.”
If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google so you’ll always see our verified news first.
Edited by: Sean Sinico














