US-South Korea drills cut short after Trump criticism

North Korea has long voiced outrage at the drills, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.


East Asia

US-South Korea drills cut short after Trump criticism

North Korea has long voiced outrage at the drills, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

US-South Korea drills cut short after Trump criticism

US Army soldiers work on a Stryker armoured vehicle at a US army base near the demilitarised zone separating two Koreas, in Dongducheon, South Korea, Aug 18, 2026. (Photo: REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji)

Read a summary of this article on FAST.

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

SEOUL: Annual war games between South Korea and the United States will end nearly a week earlier than planned, Seoul’s military said on Wednesday (Aug 19), after US President Donald Trump ordered the “inappropriate and hostile” drills scaled back.

Trump said on Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, a day before they got underway.

He cited his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and said the manouevres, designed to prepare for a possible attack by Pyongyang, were hostile towards a country that had been respectful to him.

He also praised Kim and criticised Seoul for not supporting his war against Iran.

Guess Word

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time


Buzzword

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters


Mini Sudoku

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser


Mini Crossword

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge


Word Search

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can


Show More


Show Less

North Korean state media criticised the drills on Wednesday as a “most immediate and open threat”, without mentioning Trump’s order.

Hours later, Seoul’s military said the drills would wrap up on Friday, not on Aug 27 as originally planned.

“We have decided to adjust the UFS exercise period to run from the 17th to the 21st,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

The nuclear-armed North has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.

A commentary by the state-run Korean Central News Agency repeated that position, saying the “drill poses the most immediate and open threat” to North Korea and “regional security”.

It was titled: “We Will Exercise Our Right to Self-defence for Neutralising Military Threat from Hostile Forces through More Transparent Action.”

It did not mention Trump’s order or his desire to resume talks with Kim, with whom he hinted at being in contact.

Trump on Monday said Kim had responded to his overtures, but did not provide details.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country’s defences, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.



Source: AFP/ec/dy

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Inbox

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Whatsapp

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports