Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury

Aug 21 : World number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due to a persistent right knee injury, the Italian said on Friday, depriving the season’s final Grand Slam of one of its biggest contenders.The 24-year-old, who captured his fifth major title at Wimbledon last month, has not played since


Sport

Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury

Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – Wimbledon – All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain – July 12, 2026 Italy’s Jannik Sinner in action during his final match against Germany’s Alexander Zverev REUTERS/Marko Djurica/File Photo

Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury

FILE PHOTO: Jul 12, 2026; London, United Kingdom; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts after winning a point against Alexander Zverev (GER) (not pictured) in the gentlemen’s singles final of The Championships Wimbledon 2026 at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-Imagn Images/ File Photo

Read a summary of this article on FAST.

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

Aug 21 : World number one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due to a persistent right knee injury, the Italian said on Friday, depriving the season’s final Grand Slam of one of its biggest contenders.

The 24-year-old, who captured his fifth major title at Wimbledon last month, has not played since sustaining the injury earlier this month.

He pulled out of the Cincinnati Open and also skipped the Canadian Open, two key hard-court tune-up events ahead of the Grand Slam tournament in New York.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the U.S. Open this year,” Sinner said in a statement posted on X.

Guess Word

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time


Buzzword

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters


Mini Sudoku

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser


Mini Crossword

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge


Word Search

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can


Show More


Show Less

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.”

The announcement comes a day after world number two Carlos Alcaraz confirmed he would compete at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence from competitive tennis.

Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in last year’s U.S. Open final, now heads to New York as the highest-ranked player and one of the favourites to lift the title, despite recent injury troubles.

Sinner’s absence removes one of the Spaniard’s biggest rivals and could ease his path as he bids for an eighth Grand Slam crown.

The U.S. Open runs from August 23 to September 13.

Source: Reuters

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Inbox

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Whatsapp

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *