Canada says more work needed as US trade deal deadline looms

Washington ‌and ​Ottawa are pushing to finalize an agreement before steep new US tariffs were due to kick in on Saturday. President Donald Trump has said the US “should be able to have a deal with Canada.”

https://p.dw.com/p/5JEgK

Dominic LeBlanc, Canadian minister responsible for Canada-U.S. Trade, arrives for a meeting with United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer at the office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) in Washington, DC, US, August 20, 2026
Top Canadian negotiator Dominic LeBlanc said talks would continue until the last minuteImage: Tierney L. Cross/REUTERS

Canada‘s minister responsible for trade with the United States said late Friday that a trade deal was not yet finalized.

Washington ‌and ​Ottawa have been racing to reach an agreement before steep new US tariffs were due to take effect.

“We have more work to do. We’re going to continue working up until the last minute. Our job is not finished,” Dominic LeBlanc told reporters following talks with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.

LeBlanc’s comments came after President Donald Trump said the US “should be able to have a deal with Canada,” citing his “good relationship” with Prime Minister Mark Carney

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Trump’s trade dispute with Canada

In July, Trump threatened to impose new 50% duties on some Canadian products by Wednesday, but announced a three-day pause due to major progress in trade talks.

This means the tariffs would take effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT (0401 GMT) on Saturday if a deal is not reached.

Reuters reported that the deal is expected to reduce US tariffs on Canadian-made vehicles from 25% to 15% and halve duties on Canadian steel and aluminum to 25%.

The US currently accounts for roughly 70% of Canadian exports, which makes Canada vulnerable to punitive US trade actions.

Carney’s big challenge

Even if Washington ‌and ​Ottawa reach a deal, Carney could face a difficult task of selling it to Canadians and the premiers of the country’s 10 provinces.

A Leger poll released Wednesday found that 56% of Canadians want the government to “take a hard line” and make no further concessions to the US.

Carney has been urging major provinces to reconsider putting US alcohol back on the shelves. The boycott was imposed last year as a retaliatory measure to tariffs Trump put on Canadian goods.

Quebec Premier Christine Frechette said she would assess the deal before taking a position, while Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew told reporters that Canada should continue to “fight.” 

Edited by: Rana Taha

Don’t let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google, so you’ll always see our verified news first.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports