MUIS to strengthen patrols, CCTV monitoring after ‘serious sexual offences’ involving young victim at mosque
A MUIS spokesperson stressed that the offender in the case is not a mosque staff member or volunteer, nor is he an accredited religious teacher.
Exterior of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis) building.
New: You can now listen to articles.
This audio is generated by an AI tool.
Read a summary of this article on FAST.
Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
SINGAPORE: The Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) on Monday (Aug 17) said it would strengthen existing security measures, including patrols and closed-circuit television monitoring, in light of a rape case involving a young victim at a mosque.
In a statement following the conviction, a MUIS spokesperson said it “strongly condemns the serious sexual offences involving youth victims at mosque premises”.
“Our mosques must always be safe and trusted spaces, especially for our children and young people,” the spokesperson said.
The case involves a 37-year-old Singaporean man who had taken in two young boys from a broken family while conducting religious lessons at a mosque, and later raped the younger boy and molested the older victim.
![]()
Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time
![]()
Buzzword
Create words using the given letters
![]()
Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser
![]()
Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge
![]()
Word Search
Spot as many words as you can
The man, who cannot be named due to a gag order, was previously known to his victims on social media. He is not accredited as a religious teacher.
The offences left the boys, then aged six to eight and 11 to 12, suicidal and caused the once-close brothers to drift apart.
In light of this case, MUIS said the safety of mosque visitors was paramount and added that it would strengthen existing security measures to keep mosques safe for all.
“Safeguarding, however, extends beyond our mosque premises,” said the spokesperson.
“As more religious engagement takes place online, parents, mosque leaders, asatizah and the wider community have an important role in helping our young recognise trusted sources, navigate online interactions safely, and speak up when something does not seem right.”
SEEK GUIDANCE FROM ACCREDITED TEACHERS
The MUIS spokesperson also stressed that the offender was not a mosque staff member or volunteer, nor was he an asatizah (Islamic religious teacher) accredited under the Asatizah Recognition Scheme (ARS).
Members of the public can verify whether an asatizah is ARS-accredited by referring to the online ARS directory on the MUIS website.
“Individuals who appear or present themselves as religious should not automatically be regarded as qualified religious teachers,” said the spokesperson.
“MUIS encourages Muslims, whether online or in person, to seek guidance from ARS-accredited asatizah, who meet recognised standards of training and professional conduct,” said the spokesperson.
Source: CNA/ll(sz)
Sign up for our newsletters

Get the CNA app
Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories
Get WhatsApp alerts
Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.
Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST
FAST
















