Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which the military said “aimed at creating unrest”.

39 minutes agoShareSaveAdd as preferred on GoogleAnbarasan EthirajanGlobal affairs correspondent

AFP via Getty Images Five burned out vehicles are lined up under a tin roof structureAFP via Getty Images
Charred vehicles at the Bongor Subdistrict Administrative Organisation office in Ra-ngae, Narathiwa

More than 50 co-ordinated arson and incendiary attacks “aimed at creating unrest” have been carried out across Thailand’s insurgency-hit south, the Thai military has said.

Two people were injured, with a local government office building, a convenience store, and a stolen vehicle among the targets set on fire.

The incidents took place across the country’s southern border provinces between 20:00 local time (13:00 GMT) and midnight on Saturday, the military’s Internal Security Operations Command said in a statement.

Most were reported in Narathiwat province, with others occurring in neighbouring Yala and Pattani.

According to the Bangkok Post, two women were injured when a bomb exploded in Muang district in Narathiwat province.

Telecommunication towers were set on fire in several locations, and security officials warned residents not to touch suspicious objects.

Authorities imposed an overnight curfew in the Narathiwat province that was lifted on Sunday morning. No further attacks had been reported on Sunday.

AFP via Getty Images A soldier completely clad in a black uniform and holding a gun stands at a yellow police tape which stretches over a road. A red traffic cone is in the foreground.AFP via Getty Images
A soldier mans a checkpoint in Cho Airong district after a telecommunications tower attack

No group has claimed responsibility for the arson attacks.

Since 2004, a low-level conflict has simmered in the southernmost provinces of Buddhist-majority Thailand, as rebels in the Muslim-majority region battle for greater autonomy. More than 7,000 people have been killed in the violence so far.

The insurgency is mainly led by the Barisan Revolusi Nasional.

Since talks facilitated by Malaysia began in 2013, the peace process ​has repeatedly stalled amid changing governments in Bangkok, with internal divisions on both sides.

In July, five soldiers were killed in a gun and bomb attack at a checkpoint in Narathiwat prompting the authorities to postpone a planned dialogue process.

Thai media report insurgents often target security officials and government buildings, sometimes ahead of visits by officials to the region.

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and members of his cabinet are scheduled to make a two-day visit to the city of Hat Yai in southern Songkhla province next week to discuss investment projects, flooding prevention and security issues

ThailandAsia

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *