China charges 17 members of Myanmar-based human trafficking ring targeting Chinese citizens

Chinese actor Wang Xing, whose disappearance near the Thailand-Myanmar border made headlines last year, was among the syndicate’s victims, according to Chinese news outlets.


East Asia

China charges 17 members of Myanmar-based human trafficking ring targeting Chinese citizens

Chinese actor Wang Xing, whose disappearance near the Thailand-Myanmar border made headlines last year, was among the syndicate’s victims, according to Chinese news outlets.

China charges 17 members of Myanmar-based human trafficking ring targeting Chinese citizens

In this image provided by the Royal Thai Police, Chinese actor Wang Xing (front right) talks with Thai police officers in Mae Sot district, in Thai-Myanmar border, Tak province on Jan 7, 2025. (Photo: The Royal Thai Police via AP)

New: You can now listen to articles.

This audio is generated by an AI tool.

Read a summary of this article on FAST.

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

SHANGHAI: Seventeen members of a Myanmar-based human trafficking syndicate accused of luring Chinese citizens overseas and selling them to scam compounds have been charged in a Shanghai court, prosecutors said on Wednesday (Aug 19).

Chinese actor Wang Xing, whose disappearance near the Thailand-Myanmar border made headlines last year, was among the victims, according to Chinese state broadcaster CCTV.

The 17 suspects face charges including trafficking women, illegal detention, robbery and kidnapping, the Second Branch of the Shanghai People’s Procuratorate said on Wednesday in a notice posted on its official WeChat account. The notice did not state their nationalities.

The cross-border ring was based in the Myawaddy region and lured Chinese citizens abroad under the pretext of overseas employment. The victims were then forcibly taken to Myawaddy with the help of armed personnel, prosecutors said.

Guess Word

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time


Buzzword

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters


Mini Sudoku

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser


Mini Crossword

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge


Word Search

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can


Show More


Show Less

Many victims were robbed, assaulted and illegally detained, while some female victims were raped and forced into prostitution, prosecutors said.

“The victims were later sold to telecom fraud centres in Myanmar to engage in fraudulent activities.”



Under Chinese law, trafficking women, kidnapping and aggravated robbery can carry sentences of up to life imprisonment or, in the most serious cases, the death penalty.

WANG XING AMONG THE VICTIMS

While the notice referred to one of the victims only as a Chinese national surnamed Wang, Chinese media, including CCTV, have identified him as the actor Wang Xing.

Also known by his stage name Xing Xing, the 31-year-old actor has appeared in several Chinese TV dramas and held supporting roles in movies like Ip Man 3.

Wang was reported missing near a Thai border town in January 2025 by his girlfriend. She said he had flown to Bangkok after purportedly landing a role in a Thai filming project, and was then driven to Mae Sot before contact was lost.

Her social media post appealing for information went viral on microblogging platform Weibo. Wang’s family also appealed for help from the Chinese embassy in Thailand.

Wang was eventually found within days in Myanmar, near the border with Thailand, in an area where online scam networks operate. He was brought back to Thailand before returning to China. Thai police said he was a victim of human trafficking.

Thai police said the following month that they had arrested 10 Chinese suspects in connection with the case. They were subsequently repatriated to China.

Chinese actor Wang Xing (third from left) shakes hands with a Thai police officer after being assisted in his return to Thailand, at a police station in Mae Sot district, Tak province, Thailand, Jan 7, 2025. (Photo: Handout via Reuters/Royal Thai Police)



It’s unclear whether any of the 10 are among the 17 suspects now facing charges in Shanghai.

China has led an international pressure campaign to crack down on the scam hubs operating in Southeast Asia, irked at its citizens being lured to work in the industry and targeting other Chinese with their cons.

Despite the crackdown, China’s top court cautioned in February that telecom and online fraud crimes remain at a “persistently high” level and have become increasingly organised and cross-border in nature.

“The overall criminal situation remains severe and complicated, with crimes increasingly becoming a global public nuisance and a challenge to global public security governance,” it said.

Source: CNA/lk(ws)

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Inbox

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Whatsapp

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *