Councillor tells of ‘anguish’ as elderly parents forced from crumbling home

Thousands of homes in the Republic of Ireland, mostly in counties Donegal, Clare, Limerick, Mayo and Sligo are affected by the defective blocks.

29 minutes agoShareSaveAdd as preferred on GoogleMike McBrideBBC News NI

BBC Ali Farren is wearing a red fleece and a white and red striped shirt. 
He is standing near a house with defective concrete blocks.BBC
Ali Farren, who was elected to Donegal County Council as a member of the 100% Redress Party, said his 85-year-old mother, who has dementia, and his father have had to move into another property so their house in Malinhead can be demolished

A councillor has spoken of the “anguish” of having to move his elderly parents from the house they had built for their retirement because of defective concrete blocks.

Ali Farren, who was elected to Donegal County Council as a member of the 100% Redress Party, said his 85-year-old mother, who has dementia, and his father have had to move into another property so their house in Malinhead can be demolished.

Thousands of homes in the Republic of Ireland, mostly in counties Donegal, Clare, Limerick, Mayo and Sligo are affected by the defective blocks.

Many homes are crumbling due to water-absorbing minerals, like pyrite, causing bricks to crack, which has led to some homes needing to be demolished.

Ali Farren A house with large structural cracks Ali Farren
Thousands of homes in the Republic of Ireland, mostly in counties Donegal, Clare, Limerick, Mayo and Sligo are affected by the defective concrete blocks

A government scheme was announced in November 2021 for homeowners affected by defective concrete blocks and is capped at €420,000 (£357,500) per home.

Speaking to BBC Radio Foyle’s North West Today programme, Farren said his parents had expected to enjoy their retirement in the property, which will now have to be demolished.

“It’s in a beautiful location looking out over the pier, it was built in 2007, and it was their retirement home,” Farren said.

“When they retired they wanted to stay in their dream home, and as the story goes on Sunday we had to move them out of it because the house is down for demolition.

“While it’s happening to my parents, it’s also happening to hundreds of others in the area so that’s why I wanted to highlight it.”

Farren said his mother’s dementia made the move particularly difficult because even small changes to her surroundings could be unsettling.

“My mother is 85 years of age, it was her birthday on Tuesday there, and she has dementia.

“My father’s 84 who looks after her and you know it’s a big move for them.”

Ali Farren A house with large structural cracks Ali Farren
Farren says many families across County Donegal are experiencing the pain of having to move out of family homes

“You have to make sure the sleeping arrangements, like, especially when you have dementia, it’s a big upheaval any small change so that’s what is concerning most of us.”

Farren said the experience had also been emotional for the wider family.

“Even our grandchildren that was all there helping with the move, you could see the anguish, the emotion that they could feel for for their granny and their granddad as well.”

Farren said the impact of defective concrete blocks was being felt across Donegal and the Republic of Ireland.

“We have a lot of people with defective houses and I’m one of them and my sister.”

He said his family had already experienced the impact of moving his sister from her defective home.

“We moved our sister in December from her house and that was emotional, but when you’re moving, when you’re moving your parents elderly, you know, there’s a lot more goes in to moving parents who are elderly.”

Farren said he was not embarrassed to speak publicly about his family’s experience.

“I’m a public person I’m not one bit embarrassed to say my parents have a defective house because my mother and father done nothing wrong they just bought concrete products that was unregulated within the state.”

He warned that without stronger testing measures, the same problem could happen again.

“We could be doing the exact same thing again and in 20 years, whoever has that house might have to toss it if we don’t use products that are fit for purpose.”

BBC News NI has contacted the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage in the Republic of Ireland for comment.

County DonegalRepublic of IrelandEurope

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports