US imposes 50% tariffs on Canada as trade talks fail

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada was “continuing its retaliation against the US,” minutes before fresh Trump tariffs were due to come into effect. Canada says the terms proposed were “unfair.”

https://p.dw.com/p/5JEgK

The US and Canada flags flutter next to the Blue Water Bridge border crossing in Point Edward, Ontario, on October 24, 2025
Washington ‌and ​Ottawa had been racing to reach an agreement before steep new US tariffs were due to take effect [FILE: Oct 24, 2025]Image: Geoff Robins/AFP/Getty Images

The US says Canada has declined to finalize a trade pact with Washington, minutes before tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump were due to come into effect.

“Tonight, Canada declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week,” US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters, despite Washington’s offers for tariff reductions in sectors like steel and aluminum.

This means that 50% tariffs took effect at 12:01 a.m. EDT (0401 GMT) on Saturday.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has vowed to match the US tariffs. He described the US terms of the deal as “unfair.”

“Last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” Carney said.

What happened in the last-ditch trade negotiations?

Canada’s minister responsible for trade with the  had said late Friday that a trade deal was not yet finalized.

Washington ‌and ​Ottawa have been racing to reach an agreement before steep new US tariffs were due to take effect.

“We have more work to do. We’re going to continue working up until the last minute. Our job is not finished,” Dominic LeBlanc told reporters following talks with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.

LeBlanc’s comments came after President Donald Trump said the US “should be able to have a deal with Canada,” citing his “good relationship” with

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Trump’s trade dispute with Canada

In July, Trump threatened to impose new 50% duties on some Canadian products by Wednesday, but announced a three-day pause due to major progress in trade talks.

Reuters reported that the deal was expected to reduce US tariffs on Canadian-made vehicles from 25% to 15% and halve duties on Canadian steel and aluminum to 25%.

The US currently accounts for roughly 70% of Canadian exports, which makes Canada vulnerable to punitive US trade actions.

Carney’s big challenge

Even if Washington ‌and ​Ottawa reached a deal, Carney was expected to face a difficult task of selling it to Canadians and the premiers of the country’s 10 provinces.

A Leger poll released Wednesday found that 56% of Canadians want the government to “take a hard line” and make no further concessions to the US.

Carney has been urging major provinces to reconsider putting US alcohol back on the shelves. The boycott was imposed last year as a retaliatory measure to tariffs Trump put on Canadian goods.

Quebec Premier Christine Frechette said she would assess the deal before taking a position, while Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew told reporters that Canada should continue to “fight.” 

Edited by: Rana Taha

Don’t let the algorithm hide the news. If you rely on our team for trusted reporting, please take a moment to select us as your Preferred Source on Google, so you’ll always see our verified news first.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports