US judge rejects Disney bid for quick hearing in FCC lawsuit

WASHINGTON, Aug 20 : A U.S. judge rejected a request by Disney on Thursday for an urgent hearing on its lawsuit seeking to block the Federal Communications Commission’s early ​review of licenses for the entertainment giant’s eight company-owned ABC stations.U.S. District Judge Loren AliKhan in Washington


Business

US judge rejects Disney bid for quick hearing in FCC lawsuit

US judge rejects Disney bid for quick hearing in FCC lawsuit

FILE PHOTO: Disney+ logo is seen in this illustration taken August 5, 2025. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo/File Photo

Read a summary of this article on FAST.

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

WASHINGTON, Aug 20 : A U.S. judge rejected a request by Disney  on Thursday for an urgent hearing on its lawsuit seeking to block the Federal Communications Commission’s early ​review of licenses for the entertainment giant’s eight company-owned ABC stations.

U.S. District Judge Loren AliKhan in Washington denied Disney’s request to hold a hearing by Tuesday on the company’s motion for a temporary restraining order after the government said that was not necessary. The FCC has agreed to provide at least 48 hours’ notice before issuing an order to refer Disney’s ABC licenses for a hearing.

The ruling is the latest development in a legal battle that poses a key test of broadcasters’ free speech rights amid President Donald Trump’s repeated calls for ABC to lose its licenses over programming he dislikes.

The judge directed both sides to file a series of legal papers on the request by September 24 and will hold a hearing in early October on the matter.

Guess Word

Guess Word
Crack the word, one row at a time


Buzzword

Buzzword
Create words using the given letters


Mini Sudoku

Mini Sudoku
Tiny puzzle, mighty brain teaser


Mini Crossword

Mini Crossword
Small grid, big challenge


Word Search

Word Search
Spot as many words as you can


Show More


Show Less

She added that if the FCC issued a hearing order both sides would need to appear in court the following day so the court could hear arguments on whether a temporary restraining order is warranted.

“We are pleased that the judge has now rejected Disney’s meritless attempt to rush into court. The court also sided with the FCC over Disney on the schedule going forward and has declined Disney’s request for an immediate injunction,” an FCC spokesperson said.

Disney did not immediately comment.

Trump has waged an aggressive series of attacks on the news media and the latest move follows a two-year-long battle between Trump ​and Disney. Last month, Trump again called for ABC stations to lose their licenses because the network refused to air a ⁠prime-time speech on elections.

Disney said in its suit the FCC was seeking to coerce and retaliate against “a network that refuses to bow to the administration’s demands,” calling the agency’s actions ​an “extraordinary assault on free speech.”

FCC Chair Brendan Carr said the Disney lawsuit lacked merit and that he has not made a decision on whether to refer the Disney licenses for a hearing.

Source: Reuters

Sign up for our newsletters

Get our pick of top stories and thought-provoking articles in your inbox

Inbox

Get the CNA app

Stay updated with notifications for breaking news and our best stories

Get WhatsApp alerts

Join our channel for the top reads for the day on your preferred chat app

Whatsapp

Get bite-sized news via a new
cards interface. Give it a try.

Click here to return to FAST
Tap here to return to FAST

FAST

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Easy WordPress Websites Builder: Versatile Demos for Blogs, News, eCommerce and More – One-Click Import, No Coding! 1000+ Ready-made Templates for Stunning Newspaper, Magazine, Blog, and Publishing Websites.

BlockSpare — News, Magazine and Blog Addons for (Gutenberg) Block Editor

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports